Karzai orders probe into NATO killing in Afghanistan
Afghan Prez ordered an investigation into the killing by NATO forces of a former governor in southern Afghanistan, his office said.
Kabul: Afghan President Hamid Karzai ordered
an investigation on Thursday into the killing by NATO forces of a
former governor in southern Afghanistan, his office said.
According to Karzai`s office, troops broke into the house
of Haji Ibrahim, a former district governor in the southern
province of Helmand, earlier this week, killing him and
arresting six members of his family.
Gulab Mangal, the Helmand governor, told Karzai
preliminary investigations had revealed Ibrahim was innocent,
the president`s office said in a statement.
Six members of Ibrahim`s family who also appeared to be
"innocent" were detained, the statement said.
Karzai had ordered Mangal to open an investigation into
the killing, the statement added.
Daud Ahmadi, a spokesman for the Helmand provincial
administration, told a news agency an investigation was already under
"The governor has written to the NATO forces inquiring
the reason behind the killing. But so far, they have not
written back," Ahmadi told a news agency.
NATO`s International Security Assistance force (ISAF)
confirmed it carried out a raid but said it had killed an
"As the security force began to search the compound, an
insurgent attempted to engage the force with a grenade and was
killed," said an ISAF statement Monday, resent to a news agency after a
"During the search of the compound, the security force
found several men who were suspected to be insurgents. Also
found in the compound were IED components and explosive
detonators," it added.
ISAF did not comment on Karzai`s statement.
The US-led ISAF force, currently numbering around 150,000
and based in Afghanistan to defeat a Taliban-led Islamic
insurgency is usually accused of killing civilians during
operations against militants.