Karzai should thank allied forces in Afghan: Panetta
Washington: US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta has said that Afghan President Hamid Karzai should thank, rather than criticize the allied forces who are fighting and dying in the war-torn country.
Panetta’s remarks came in response to Karzai`s complaints that the US is failing to go after militants based in Pakistan, and are concentrating more on the insurgents in Afghanistan.
“We have made progress in Afghanistan because there are men and women in uniform who have been willing to fight and die for Afghanistan`s sovereignty,” CBS News quoted Panetta, as saying.
“Those lives were lost fighting the right enemy not the wrong enemy and I think it would be helpful if the president, every once in a while, expressed his thanks for the sacrifices that have been made by those who have fought and died for Afghanistan, rather than criticizing them,” he added.
The comments came at a time when tensions between the two nations are escalating in the wake of increasing ‘insider attacks’, where Afghan security forces or insurgents dressed in their uniforms have turned their guns on coalition troops.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!