Karzai should thank allied forces in Afghan: Panetta
Washington: US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta has said that Afghan President Hamid Karzai should thank, rather than criticize the allied forces who are fighting and dying in the war-torn country.
Panetta’s remarks came in response to Karzai`s complaints that the US is failing to go after militants based in Pakistan, and are concentrating more on the insurgents in Afghanistan.
“We have made progress in Afghanistan because there are men and women in uniform who have been willing to fight and die for Afghanistan`s sovereignty,” CBS News quoted Panetta, as saying.
“Those lives were lost fighting the right enemy not the wrong enemy and I think it would be helpful if the president, every once in a while, expressed his thanks for the sacrifices that have been made by those who have fought and died for Afghanistan, rather than criticizing them,” he added.
The comments came at a time when tensions between the two nations are escalating in the wake of increasing ‘insider attacks’, where Afghan security forces or insurgents dressed in their uniforms have turned their guns on coalition troops.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what