Karzai should thank allied forces in Afghan: Panetta
Washington: US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta has said that Afghan President Hamid Karzai should thank, rather than criticize the allied forces who are fighting and dying in the war-torn country.
Panetta’s remarks came in response to Karzai`s complaints that the US is failing to go after militants based in Pakistan, and are concentrating more on the insurgents in Afghanistan.
“We have made progress in Afghanistan because there are men and women in uniform who have been willing to fight and die for Afghanistan`s sovereignty,” CBS News quoted Panetta, as saying.
“Those lives were lost fighting the right enemy not the wrong enemy and I think it would be helpful if the president, every once in a while, expressed his thanks for the sacrifices that have been made by those who have fought and died for Afghanistan, rather than criticizing them,” he added.
The comments came at a time when tensions between the two nations are escalating in the wake of increasing ‘insider attacks’, where Afghan security forces or insurgents dressed in their uniforms have turned their guns on coalition troops.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown