Karzai should thank allied forces in Afghan: Panetta
Washington: US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta has said that Afghan President Hamid Karzai should thank, rather than criticize the allied forces who are fighting and dying in the war-torn country.
Panetta’s remarks came in response to Karzai`s complaints that the US is failing to go after militants based in Pakistan, and are concentrating more on the insurgents in Afghanistan.
“We have made progress in Afghanistan because there are men and women in uniform who have been willing to fight and die for Afghanistan`s sovereignty,” CBS News quoted Panetta, as saying.
“Those lives were lost fighting the right enemy not the wrong enemy and I think it would be helpful if the president, every once in a while, expressed his thanks for the sacrifices that have been made by those who have fought and died for Afghanistan, rather than criticizing them,” he added.
The comments came at a time when tensions between the two nations are escalating in the wake of increasing ‘insider attacks’, where Afghan security forces or insurgents dressed in their uniforms have turned their guns on coalition troops.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list