Karzai visits Hiroshima to pray for bomb victims
Tokyo: Afghan President Hamid Karzai is on
his first visit to Hiroshima today ahead of the 65th
anniversary of the US atomic bombing of the western Japanese
city in World War II.
Donning his traditional ethnic costume, Karzai laid a
wreath at the cenotaph for the atomic bomb victims and in
Peace Memorial Park, local media reported.
After inspecting the ground zero areas, he said he
learned from Hiroshima that acts of atrocity must not be
repeated, the Kyodo News agency reported.
As he heard from an atomic bomb survivor about his
experience, Karzai also said that the use of atomic bombs
cannot be justified under any circumstance, Kyodo said.
In Hiroshima, more than 140,000 people were killed
instantly or died in the days and weeks after the August 6,
Three days later, a second atomic bomb was dropped in
Nagasaki. Japan surrendered on August 15, ending the war.
Karzai, on his first visit to Tokyo since he started
his second term in November after an election widely
criticised for rigging thanked new Prime Minister Naoto Kan
on Thursday for Japan`s support.
Japan last year pledged up to five billion dollars in aid
by 2013 to rebuild the impoverished country, where US-led and
then multinational forces have been battling Taliban
insurgents since late 2001.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH