Karzai visits Hiroshima to pray for bomb victims
Tokyo: Afghan President Hamid Karzai is on
his first visit to Hiroshima today ahead of the 65th
anniversary of the US atomic bombing of the western Japanese
city in World War II.
Donning his traditional ethnic costume, Karzai laid a
wreath at the cenotaph for the atomic bomb victims and in
Peace Memorial Park, local media reported.
After inspecting the ground zero areas, he said he
learned from Hiroshima that acts of atrocity must not be
repeated, the Kyodo News agency reported.
As he heard from an atomic bomb survivor about his
experience, Karzai also said that the use of atomic bombs
cannot be justified under any circumstance, Kyodo said.
In Hiroshima, more than 140,000 people were killed
instantly or died in the days and weeks after the August 6,
Three days later, a second atomic bomb was dropped in
Nagasaki. Japan surrendered on August 15, ending the war.
Karzai, on his first visit to Tokyo since he started
his second term in November after an election widely
criticised for rigging thanked new Prime Minister Naoto Kan
on Thursday for Japan`s support.
Japan last year pledged up to five billion dollars in aid
by 2013 to rebuild the impoverished country, where US-led and
then multinational forces have been battling Taliban
insurgents since late 2001.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly