Karzai wants change in Afghan war strategy
Kabul: President Hamid Karzai said on Sunday
Washington`s war strategy for Afghanistan needed a rethink, as
a Taliban-led insurgency gathers pace and foreign forces
Karzai made the comments to the visiting Norbert Lammert,
president of the German parliament, the Afghan president`s
office said in a statement.
"Speaking about Afghanistan and regional security
(Karzai) said that the strategy of the war on terrorism must
be reassessed," the statement said.
"The experience over the past eight years showed that
fighting (Taliban) in Afghan villages has been ineffective and
is not achieving anything but killing civilians."
Rethinking counter-insurgency strategies in Afghanistan
was the war-torn country`s most pressing need, Karzai said.
"This has become a serious need in the current
situation," he was quoted saying.
Earlier in the week, the Western-backed Karzai told
American officials that Washington and its NATO allies must
shift their military focus to insurgent hideouts on the
Pakistani side of the border.
Speaking to US congressmen on Thursday Karzai said the
US-led military campaign against Islamist insurgents in
Afghanistan had not made progress, blaming the shortcomings on
Washington`s handling of post-Taliban Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail