Kayani assures action against ``terrorists`` in tribal areas
Rawalpindi: Pakistan Army Chief General Ashfaq Pervez Kayani has reportedly assured the US commander in Afghanistan, General John Allen that Pakistan would take action against ``terrorist sanctuaries`` in the tribal areas, provided the US shares ``actionable intelligence``.
A joint statement, without mentioning the Haqqani network, said General Allen and General Kayani, who met at the General Headquarters in Rawalpindi, agreed to expand opportunities for coordinated action against what it called "terrorists on respective sides of the border who threaten Afghanistan, Pakistan, and the region", reports The Express Tribune.
According to sources, the statement was referring to the Haqqani network as well as militants that have launched repeated cross-border raids into Pakistan from Afghanistan`s Kunar and Nuristan provinces. The two generals discussed various options to eliminate the Haqqani network and other insurgent groups, the sources added.
The two countries publicly hinted at coordinated operations against groups threatening peace on either side of the border. US officials have called repeatedly on Pakistan to move against the Haqqani network.
Earlier this week, The New York Times claimed that General Kayani recently told US officials in private that he would launch a three-phase military operation against the Haqqanis over the next 12 months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof