Kayani backs Balochistan`s solution within Pak con
Islamabad: Amidst growing criticism of the role of the military and security agencies in Balochistan, Pakistan Army chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani has said his force will "fully back" any solution to the problems of the restive province that are within the country`s Constitution.
"The army will fully back any solution under the Constitution of Pakistan," Kayani was quoted as saying in a rare public statement on the situation in Balochistan, which has been rocked by militant and sectarian violence for the past few years.
The army will "fully support any political process as long as it is within the Constitution", the powerful army chief said before leaving for an official visit to Russia yesterday.
Observers said Kayani`s remarks were clearly aimed at dispelling the impression that the security establishment was a hurdle in the resolution of Balochistan`s problems.
Unnamed military official told the media that recent criticism of the army by political leaders had compelled Kayani to issue the policy statement.
Balochistan`s problems ? including the issue of hundreds of "missing persons" or those detained without charge by security and intelligence agencies - have been in the limelight since the Supreme Court began suo moto proceedings on the law and order situation in the province.
Baloch leaders say hundreds of members of nationalist groups have been detained without charge by security agencies.
The bodies of nearly 300 of these "missing persons" have been found dumped across Balochistan since last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far