Kayani briefs Pak leadership on security situation
Islamabad: Pakistan`s top political
leadership was today briefed by Army chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez
Kayani on the security situation in the country after
suspected Taliban militants carried out a series of brazen
attacks on military and police establishments.
Kayani and Inter-Services Intelligence agency chief Lt
Gen Ahmed Shuja Pasha briefed the political leadership about
threats and measures being taken to counter them, at a special
meeting convened by the government to assess security issues
and chart out a course of action to combat Taliban militants.
The meeting was convened by Prime Minister Yousuf Raza
Gilani soon after he returned to Pakistan last night from an
official visit to China, state-run APP news agency reported.
The meeting comes in the wake of deadly suicide attacks
and bombings targeting major cities including Rawalpindi,
Lahore and Peshawar, claiming as many as 170 lives so far this
month. Most of the attacks have been blamed on Tehrik-e-
The government has decided in principle to launch a
military operation in South Waziristan, the main stronghold of
the Taliban, and reports said Kayani briefed the political
leadership on preparations for the campaign.
Reports also said the situation in southern Punjab,
where militant groups have consolidated their position and
established close links with the Taliban, were discussed by
the political leadership.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list