Kayani in Karachi to assess situation
Karachi: Pakistan Army chief General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani flew into Karachi on Thursday to get a detailed briefing on the situation in the violence-hit port city where 300 people have died in the past few weeks.
General Kayani landed in Karachi Thursday morning, a newspaper reported.
Sources said the general would be given a detailed briefing on the situation in the city.
The media report said that analysts were giving importance to Kayani`s visit.
Kayani on Saturday said the army was prepared to put a halt to the violence in Karachi if asked by the government to do so.
He expressed concern over the law and order situation in the port city of Karachi and added that it was the duty of the army to serve the nation.
The general also said the situation could be brought under control by utilising the services of the paramilitary Rangers and police in an effective manner.
A day after Kayani`s statement, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani practically ruled out military intervention in Karachi.
Military actions were not a long-term solution to a problem, Gilani said.
The Prime Minister said it was only the provincial government that could decide on taking military action in Karachi.
Violence over the past few weeks in Karachi has left over 300 people dead. The latest wave of violence gripped the city after Pakistan People`s Party former lawmaker Ahmed Karimdad was killed in the Lyari area Aug 17.
Gilani stressed that the federal government would provide full assistance if the provincial government asked for it.
"Calling the military in Karachi is a provincial subject and federal government will respect the decision of Sindh Parliament," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark