Kayani meets caretaker PM; briefs him on security situation
Islamabad: Pakistan Army chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani on Tuesday briefed caretaker Prime Minister Mir Hazar Khan Khoso on the security situation across the country ahead of the general election scheduled for May 11.
Kayani called on Khoso at the Prime Minister`s House this morning and briefed him on "security matters and remained with him for some time", an official spokesman said.
The Army chief also congratulated Khoso on assumption of the office of premier.
This was the first meeting between the two leaders since Khoso assumed office yesterday.
The Election Commission had earlier sought the deployment of soldiers at all polling stations for the general election.
However, the Army said most of its troops were engaged in guarding the borders and counter-terrorism operations.
The Army and the poll panel are now holding discussions on deploying soldiers only at sensitive polling stations for the general election that will mark the first democratic transition in Pakistan`s history.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India