Kayani meets caretaker PM; briefs him on security situation
Islamabad: Pakistan Army chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani on Tuesday briefed caretaker Prime Minister Mir Hazar Khan Khoso on the security situation across the country ahead of the general election scheduled for May 11.
Kayani called on Khoso at the Prime Minister`s House this morning and briefed him on "security matters and remained with him for some time", an official spokesman said.
The Army chief also congratulated Khoso on assumption of the office of premier.
This was the first meeting between the two leaders since Khoso assumed office yesterday.
The Election Commission had earlier sought the deployment of soldiers at all polling stations for the general election.
However, the Army said most of its troops were engaged in guarding the borders and counter-terrorism operations.
The Army and the poll panel are now holding discussions on deploying soldiers only at sensitive polling stations for the general election that will mark the first democratic transition in Pakistan`s history.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter