Kayani meets caretaker PM; briefs him on security situation
Islamabad: Pakistan Army chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani on Tuesday briefed caretaker Prime Minister Mir Hazar Khan Khoso on the security situation across the country ahead of the general election scheduled for May 11.
Kayani called on Khoso at the Prime Minister`s House this morning and briefed him on "security matters and remained with him for some time", an official spokesman said.
The Army chief also congratulated Khoso on assumption of the office of premier.
This was the first meeting between the two leaders since Khoso assumed office yesterday.
The Election Commission had earlier sought the deployment of soldiers at all polling stations for the general election.
However, the Army said most of its troops were engaged in guarding the borders and counter-terrorism operations.
The Army and the poll panel are now holding discussions on deploying soldiers only at sensitive polling stations for the general election that will mark the first democratic transition in Pakistan`s history.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened