Kayani meets caretaker PM; briefs him on security situation
Islamabad: Pakistan Army chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani on Tuesday briefed caretaker Prime Minister Mir Hazar Khan Khoso on the security situation across the country ahead of the general election scheduled for May 11.
Kayani called on Khoso at the Prime Minister`s House this morning and briefed him on "security matters and remained with him for some time", an official spokesman said.
The Army chief also congratulated Khoso on assumption of the office of premier.
This was the first meeting between the two leaders since Khoso assumed office yesterday.
The Election Commission had earlier sought the deployment of soldiers at all polling stations for the general election.
However, the Army said most of its troops were engaged in guarding the borders and counter-terrorism operations.
The Army and the poll panel are now holding discussions on deploying soldiers only at sensitive polling stations for the general election that will mark the first democratic transition in Pakistan`s history.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state