Kayani says Taliban cannot dictate terms to nation
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani has declared that terrorists will not be allowed to dictate terms to the country in lieu of government efforts for peace talks.
General Kayani also reaffirmed the army`s support to the political process in reaching out to the militant outfits for a dialogue, the Daily Times reports.
He reiterated the Pakistan Army`s resolution and commitment to fight terrorism, in accordance with the will of the nation, at any cost.
General Kayani paid tribute to Major General Sanaullah Khan, who was killed during a terrorist attack near village Gatkotal in Upper Dir on Sunday.
The attack came a week after Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif had sent a letter to the Pakistani Taliban to pursue peace talks and all major political parties had agreed in the All-Parties Conference (APC) to negotiate with the militant outfit.
It is being speculated that the recent attacks by the Taliban would likely make it more difficult for the government to start negotiations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what