Kayani visits militancy-affected areas in northwest Pak
Islamabad: Army chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez
Kayani on Wednesday toured militancy-affected areas in northwest
Pakistan, warning that strict action will be taken against
anyone who takes the law into his hands and challenges the
Kayani issued the warning while addressing a jirga or
council of tribal elders in the restive Bajaur tribal region.
The tribesmen played a key role in purging the region of
militants by fighting shoulder-to-shoulder with the security
forces, he said.
Militants were flushed out due to the successful military
action in restive areas and this greatly helped in restoring
the government`s writ, Kayani said, adding peace was very
important for the progress and prosperity of tribal areas.
The army chief visited Bajaur Agency to take stock of the
security situation in the area.
Peshawar Corps Commander Lt Gen Asif Yaseen Malik and
Frontier Corps Inspector General Maj Gen Tariq Khan
Kayani met elders and chiefs of Tharkani and Utmankhel
He also visited the troubled Swat valley in
Khyber-Pakhtoonkhwa province and met local elders in Mingora
and Saidu Sharif.
Kayani claimed the army had set a "unique precedent" by
defeating terrorists in Malakand and Swat valley in a short
span of time.
The militants in Swat had challenged the government`s
writ and were trying to establish a parallel government but
the security forces overcame their nefarious designs, he said.
The army will remain in the area till complete peace is
established and militants are exterminated while arrested
rebels will be tried in courts in accordance with law, he
Kayani asked the people to activate and strengthen local
neighbourhood committees to ensure that militants could not
regroup and disturb the peace of Swat valley again.
Strict security measures were put in place for the army
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!