Kerry defers Pak visit because of Syrian crisis
Islamabad: US Secretary of State John Kerry has been forced to defer a visit to Pakistan till next month because of the crisis in Syria, officials said on Tuesday.
Foreign Office spokesman Aizaz Ahmed Chaudhry had said last week that Kerry was expected to visit Pakistan in the last week of this month. Pakistani officials said that the trip had been delayed till the first half of July due to an escalation in the crisis in Syria.
The Americans had been forced to reschedule Kerry`s visit due to sudden deterioration of the situation in Syria, said one official who did not want to be named.
Sartaj Aziz, Advisor to Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on Foreign Affairs and National Security, too said while speaking in parliament that Kerry was likely to visit Pakistan next month.
Kerry is expected to hold talks with Pakistan`s new government on the fight against terrorism in the country`s northwest and the situation in Afghanistan, including the exit of US and foreign forces.
He will be the senior most US official to visit Pakistan since Sharif was sworn in as premier after the May 11 polls.
US-Pakistan relations have been hit by a series of crises in recent years, including the unilateral American military raid that killed Osama bin Laden in Abbottabad, the closure of NATO supply routes to Afghanistan after US air strikes killed 24 Pakistani soldiers and differences over the CIA?s drone campaign in the tribal belt bordering Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly