Key LeT militant arrested with 34 Afghans
Islamabad: A key militant of the banned
Lashker-e-Taiba and his 34 Afghan followers have been arrested
by Pakistani authorities in the Nowshera area in the country`s
northwest, from where some wanted top Taliban commanders were
LeT leader Matiullah alias Abu Tallah and his
followers were arrested during a pre-dawn raid on his
`madrassa` or seminary at New Dagai village in Nowshera
district yesterday, police told the media.
From the same district, Pakistani intelligence had
captured some top Taliban commanders, including members of
so-called `Quetta Shura`.
LeT is blamed for the Mumbai terror attacks that
killed 166 people.
Police sealed Matiullah`s illegal FM radio channel
during the raid. An anti-terrorism court later remanded
Matiullah to police custody for 30 days while another court
fined his followers and ordered their deportation.
The 34 Afghans were taken to the Central Jail in
Peshawar, from where they will be deported to Afghanistan.
Police registered a case under the Anti-Terrorism Act
against Matiullah`s followers. They will be handed over to
Afghan authorities after completing legal formalities, police
Police said they took action against Matiullah after
getting "credible information" about the illegal presence of
foreign students in his seminary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers