Key LeT militant arrested with 34 Afghans
Islamabad: A key militant of the banned
Lashker-e-Taiba and his 34 Afghan followers have been arrested
by Pakistani authorities in the Nowshera area in the country`s
northwest, from where some wanted top Taliban commanders were
LeT leader Matiullah alias Abu Tallah and his
followers were arrested during a pre-dawn raid on his
`madrassa` or seminary at New Dagai village in Nowshera
district yesterday, police told the media.
From the same district, Pakistani intelligence had
captured some top Taliban commanders, including members of
so-called `Quetta Shura`.
LeT is blamed for the Mumbai terror attacks that
killed 166 people.
Police sealed Matiullah`s illegal FM radio channel
during the raid. An anti-terrorism court later remanded
Matiullah to police custody for 30 days while another court
fined his followers and ordered their deportation.
The 34 Afghans were taken to the Central Jail in
Peshawar, from where they will be deported to Afghanistan.
Police registered a case under the Anti-Terrorism Act
against Matiullah`s followers. They will be handed over to
Afghan authorities after completing legal formalities, police
Police said they took action against Matiullah after
getting "credible information" about the illegal presence of
foreign students in his seminary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof