Key Taliban commander among 5 killed in Pak blast
Islamabad: A top Taliban commander was among five people killed on Friday in a powerful blast in a market in Pakistan`s restive South Waziristan tribal region.
The bomb attack, which also left six people injured, targeted militant commander Maulvi Abbas Wazir who had close links with foreign fighters and the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan, officials were quoted as saying by local media.
There was confusion about the nature of the explosion.
Some reports said the attack had involved an improvised explosive device while Geo News channel reported it was carried out by a suicide bomber.
State-run Radio Pakistan reported that five persons were killed and six others injured.
The blast occurred in a vegetable market in Wana, the main town of South Waziristan tribal agency.
The army had carried out a massive operation in the region in 2009 but militants continue to be active in the area.
The powerful explosion damaged several shops in the market.
No one claimed responsibility for the attack.
Maulvi Abbas Wazir was a confidant of Taliban commander Nek Muhammad, who was killed in a US drone strike in 2004.
They were both known for sheltering Uzbek, Tajik and other foreign militants.
Maulvi Abbas left South Waziristan after Maulvi Nazir emerged as the top warlord in the region and launched a campaign against foreign militants.
Abbas returned to the region last year after finalising a deal with Nazir, who is considered a "pro-government" commander.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery