Key Taliban commander killed in Afghanistan
Kabul: A key Taliban commander, identified as Safiullah alias Shafiq, has been killed in Afghanistan`s Wardak province, an official said.
Afghan security forces backed by NATO-led troops on Sunday targeted and killed Safiullah in Wardak, 35 km west of Kabul, Ataullah Khogyani, the spokesman for provincial administration, told Xinhua.
Acting on an intelligence report, troops raided a house in Masoomkhil village of Nurkh district and killed the Taliban commander, he said.
There were no casualties among civilians or security forces, the official said.
The elimination of Shafiq is a major setback to the Taliban in Wardak province, he said.
The Taliban did not make any comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket