Key Taliban commander killed in Afghanistan
Kabul: A key Taliban commander, identified as Safiullah alias Shafiq, has been killed in Afghanistan`s Wardak province, an official said.
Afghan security forces backed by NATO-led troops on Sunday targeted and killed Safiullah in Wardak, 35 km west of Kabul, Ataullah Khogyani, the spokesman for provincial administration, told Xinhua.
Acting on an intelligence report, troops raided a house in Masoomkhil village of Nurkh district and killed the Taliban commander, he said.
There were no casualties among civilians or security forces, the official said.
The elimination of Shafiq is a major setback to the Taliban in Wardak province, he said.
The Taliban did not make any comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS