Key Taliban commander killed in Afghanistan
Kabul: A key Taliban commander, identified as Safiullah alias Shafiq, has been killed in Afghanistan`s Wardak province, an official said.
Afghan security forces backed by NATO-led troops on Sunday targeted and killed Safiullah in Wardak, 35 km west of Kabul, Ataullah Khogyani, the spokesman for provincial administration, told Xinhua.
Acting on an intelligence report, troops raided a house in Masoomkhil village of Nurkh district and killed the Taliban commander, he said.
There were no casualties among civilians or security forces, the official said.
The elimination of Shafiq is a major setback to the Taliban in Wardak province, he said.
The Taliban did not make any comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Vietnam scientists spot rare endangered primates
- David Warner named Australia captain as Steve Smith heads home to rest ahead of hectic home schedule
- Is butter healthy? Five reasons to eat Krishna's favourite!
- Air India Mumbai-Newark flight diverted to Kazakhstan
- Laver Cup: Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal to play doubles together