Key Taliban commander killed in Afghanistan
Kabul: A key Taliban commander, identified as Safiullah alias Shafiq, has been killed in Afghanistan`s Wardak province, an official said.
Afghan security forces backed by NATO-led troops on Sunday targeted and killed Safiullah in Wardak, 35 km west of Kabul, Ataullah Khogyani, the spokesman for provincial administration, told Xinhua.
Acting on an intelligence report, troops raided a house in Masoomkhil village of Nurkh district and killed the Taliban commander, he said.
There were no casualties among civilians or security forces, the official said.
The elimination of Shafiq is a major setback to the Taliban in Wardak province, he said.
The Taliban did not make any comment.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India