Key Taliban commander killed in Afghanistan
Kabul: A key Taliban commander, identified as Safiullah alias Shafiq, has been killed in Afghanistan`s Wardak province, an official said.
Afghan security forces backed by NATO-led troops on Sunday targeted and killed Safiullah in Wardak, 35 km west of Kabul, Ataullah Khogyani, the spokesman for provincial administration, told Xinhua.
Acting on an intelligence report, troops raided a house in Masoomkhil village of Nurkh district and killed the Taliban commander, he said.
There were no casualties among civilians or security forces, the official said.
The elimination of Shafiq is a major setback to the Taliban in Wardak province, he said.
The Taliban did not make any comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- IPL Betting: Lalit Modi names three cricketers who were bribed
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report