Khaleda Zia elected BNP chief for 3rd consecutive term
Dhaka: Former prime minister and opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) chief Khaleda Zia was re-elected unopposed as chairperson of her party for the third consecutive term.
BNP`s chief election commissioner TH Khan declared her elected the chairperson for three years as she was the lone candidate for the post.
Her re-election comes ahead of the party`s December 8 National Council meet that comes after a lapse of 16 years to comply with a new election commission law.
The party earlier completed elections in district councils in 50 out of 75 organisational districts while the polls in the rest 25 could not be held due to infighting among the candidates.
Newspaper reports said Zia had to intervene in several of the 50 districts where the councils were held as candidates staged separate conventions and came up with rival committees.
Zia, the arch-rival of ruling Awami League chief and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, was last time elected unopposed the party chief in 1993 while she was installed as BNP chief in 1983, two years after the assassination of her husband former president Ziaur Rahman, who founded the BNP.
Both BNP and Awami League witnessed a major shake over internal reforms during the past military backed interim government under state of emergency as "reformists" leaders of both the parties sought to clip party chiefs "absolute powers" to ensure internal democracy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister