Khan of Kalat calls for grand Jirga of Baloch sardars
Islamabad, Sept 21: The former ruler of the erstwhile
princely state of Kalat, which formed part of Balochistan, is
convening a meeting of tribal elders today to discuss the
situation arising out of the killing of rebel leader Nawab
Akbar Bugti in a Pakistani military operation.
Kalat Sardar Suleman Daud, who strongly criticised
Bugti`s killing, called for the `Jirga` in Kalat to
discuss the situation in Balochistan.
Several Baloch sardars or tribal leaders and important
personalities from Sindh and Punjab are likely to take part in
the Jirga, `Daily Times` reported.
The meeting was tipped to be one of the most important
gatherings of Baloch tribal chiefs, the report said. The last
such Jirga was convened in 1887 by then Khan of Kalat, Khan
Baloch chieftains supporting Pakistan government have not
been invited to the Jirga, the report said.
Kalat was a former princely state located at the centre
of the modern province of Balochistan. It was founded in 1638.
On March 31, 1948, the state acceded to Pakistan which
went on to form the Balochistan states union on October 3,
1952 with three neighbouring states. The state of Kalat ceased
to exist from October 14, 1955 when the province of West
Pakistan was formed.
Bugti`s killing evoked strong nationalist sentiments in
Balochistan, where the rebels have been agitating for more
provincial autonomy. Baloch nationalist parties have held
several protest rallies since the killing of Bugti in a
military raid on August 26.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city