Khar defends Pak spy agencies in UN speech
United Nations: Pakistan Foreign Minister
Hina Rabbani Khar has defended her country`s intelligence agencies in fighting terrorism amid a row with the US over allegations that the ISI had backed the Haqqani network in
carrying out high-profile terror attacks.
Pakistan is determined to eliminate the "spectre of terrorism" from its soil and it is "keenly aware" of the threat that terrorism poses to its neighbours, Khar said.
Addressing the 66th session of the UN General Assembly on behalf of Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, Khar
said very few countries have been ravaged by the "monster of
terrorism" as "brutally" as Pakistan has.
Defending the role of country`s intelligence agencies,
amid a row with the US over ISI`s link with the dreaded
Haqqani network, Khar said, "Notable success against al-Qaeda
and its affiliates has been registered in recent years.
It is well known that following the Tora Bora bombing and
consequent dispersal of al Qaida, it was Pakistan`s
intelligence and security agencies that interdicted a large
number of al Qaida operatives.
Very recently, Yousuf Al Mauritani, the Chief Operative of Al-Qaeda was arrested in a joint ISI and CIA operation."
"If I began recounting Pakistan`s sacrifices and
Pakistan`s suffering, I would keep you here till next
September. We do not take terrorism lightly. We cannot to
afford to take terrorism lightly, we have suffered far too
much at its hand," she said.
US military chief Admiral Mike Mullen had described the
Haqqani network as a "veritable arm" of the ISI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today