Khar defends Pak spy agencies in UN speech
United Nations: Pakistan Foreign Minister
Hina Rabbani Khar has defended her country`s intelligence agencies in fighting terrorism amid a row with the US over allegations that the ISI had backed the Haqqani network in
carrying out high-profile terror attacks.
Pakistan is determined to eliminate the "spectre of terrorism" from its soil and it is "keenly aware" of the threat that terrorism poses to its neighbours, Khar said.
Addressing the 66th session of the UN General Assembly on behalf of Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, Khar
said very few countries have been ravaged by the "monster of
terrorism" as "brutally" as Pakistan has.
Defending the role of country`s intelligence agencies,
amid a row with the US over ISI`s link with the dreaded
Haqqani network, Khar said, "Notable success against al-Qaeda
and its affiliates has been registered in recent years.
It is well known that following the Tora Bora bombing and
consequent dispersal of al Qaida, it was Pakistan`s
intelligence and security agencies that interdicted a large
number of al Qaida operatives.
Very recently, Yousuf Al Mauritani, the Chief Operative of Al-Qaeda was arrested in a joint ISI and CIA operation."
"If I began recounting Pakistan`s sacrifices and
Pakistan`s suffering, I would keep you here till next
September. We do not take terrorism lightly. We cannot to
afford to take terrorism lightly, we have suffered far too
much at its hand," she said.
US military chief Admiral Mike Mullen had described the
Haqqani network as a "veritable arm" of the ISI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!