Khar rejects US ‘ultimatum’ reports on Haqqani
Islamabad: Pakistani Foreign Minister Hina
Rabbani Khar has rejected the impression that Secretary of
State Hillary Clinton had given her an ultimatum to attack the
Haqqani network, blamed for a recent attack on the US Embassy
"There are some misperceptions about the three-and-half
hour meeting I had with Secretary Clinton...There were no
ultimatums from either side," Khar told reporters in New York.
Pakistan has a "relationship of choice" with the US on
the basis of mutual interests, she said.
The Pakistan-US relationship is an important one and "no
one is a hostage in it", said Khar, who is heading Pakistan`s
delegation to the UN General Assembly session.
She added: "Pakistan is in it (the relationship) by
Unnamed US officials were quoted by the Western media as
saying after Sunday`s talks between Khar and Clinton that the
issues of counter-terrorism and the Haqqani network were the
thrust of the discussions.
However, Khar contended that her meeting with Clinton was
not "uni-dimensional" or devoted to a single issue as it
covered all issues of interest to Pakistan and the US.
"It was intense but very constructive," she said.
Both sides had candid discussions on a wide range of
issues with a view to improving bilateral ties, she said.
Both the US and Pakistan, Khar said, understand the need
to cooperate and build a partnership.
Pakistan had made "big" sacrifices in combating terrorism
as it had lost some 30,000 citizens and 5,000 security
personnel in the war on terror, she said.
"We need to be assisted, not recriminated. There should
be no public recrimination. This must stop," she said.
Pakistan even paid a heavy price for arresting Al-Qaeda
leader Younis al-Mauritani in Quetta recently as 30 people
lost their lives in a revenge attack, Khar remarked.
Pakistan is committed to rooting out terrorism and is
fulfilling its obligations in this regard, she said.
But Pakistan acts "in its own national interest (and) not
at the behest of someone", she pointed out.
Pakistan also wants peace and stability in Afghanistan
and will support any Afghan-lead reconciliation process or
whatever goal the Afghan people set for themselves, Khar said.
The stakes are very high in Afghanistan and Pakistan is
aware that it will have to deal "with the baggage when the
conflict was over", she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'