Khar unlikely to contest polls to Pak parliament
Islamabad: Pakistan`s former foreign minister Hina Rabbani Khar is unlikely to contest polls to parliament next month as her father is a candidate for the National Assembly constituency that she represented earlier, according to a media report on Sunday.
The nomination papers of Khar`s father, Ghulam Rabbani Khar, for parliamentary constituency number 177 in Punjab province have been approved by poll authorities.
Khar was quoted by The Express Tribune as saying that she had only "applied as a covering candidate to my father".
As her father`s papers had been cleared, Khar told the daily that "would be that for her political career for now".
Khar has also not applied for a parliamentary seat reserved for women on a Pakistan People`s Party ticket.
"That continues to be the position," she said.
Khar`s father is not a graduate and rules that were in place at the time of the 2008 general election barred him from contesting polls.
Under new rules, it is no longer mandatory for candidates to be graduates and he decided to contest the polls scheduled for May 11.
There has been speculation in political circles in Islamabad since last year that Khar would not contest the upcoming polls and would make way for her father to make a fresh bid to enter the National Assembly or lower house of parliament.
At the age of 34, Khar became Pakistan`s youngest and first woman Foreign Minister in 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video