`Kheleda knew of 2004 grenade attack plot targeting Hasina`
Dhaka: A former chief of Bangladesh`s premier military intelligence agency Monday claimed that ex-Prime Minister Kheleda Zia knew beforehand the 2004 grenade attack plot mainly targeting the then leader of Opposition Sheikh Hasina.
The assailants hurled 13 "arges" grenades at an Awami League rally in downtown Dhaka on August 21 but Hasina narrowly escaped the attack with permanent hearing impairment while 24 people, including incumbent President Zillur Rahman`s wife Ivy Rahman, were killed and some 500 injured.
"I understood the Prime Minister (Kheleda) knew everything beforehand," Maj Gen (retd) Sadik Hassan Rumi, ex-DG of Directorate General of Forces Intelligence, told the Speedy Trial Tribunal-1 appearing as a crucial prosecution witness.
Rumi told the court that soon after the attack he instantly informed the incident to Kheleda.
He said he was denied permission for investigating into the attack and recalled Kheleda appeared annoyed and virtually rebuked him as he wanted to talk to her on the attack issue and subsequent investigations.
Judge Shehed Nuruddin recorded Rumi`s statement that took one and half hours to be delivered while prosecution lawyers said he was the 65th witness to testify before the court.
"From where you gathered the ridiculous information... what is your headache if Tajuddin (a key attack plotter) goes to Pakistan or anywhere else?" Rumi recalled Zia as telling him with annoyance as he tried to confirm a report that she herself ordered his safe passage abroad.
The ex-intelligence chief`s testimony came as the trial of the grisly attack was underway with the court indicting a number of high-profile suspects including Zia`s "fugitive" elder son and BNP`s senior vice president Tarique Rahman as a mastermind.
Rumi said a senior DGFI official "who used to maintain direct link with Rahman and Babar defying the agency`s norm and my advice" received direct instruction from Babar to destroy the grenades beyond his knowledge.
He said two other DGFI officials some days after the incident came to him and said they received orders from the prime minister through the then state minister for home Lutfuzzaman Babar and Zia`s nephew and political aide Saiful Islam Duke to arrange Tajuddin`s safe passage to Pakistan.
Three former police chiefs, several former military officials who were posted in DGFI at that time and several kingpins of outlawed Harkatul Jihad-al-Islami (HuJI) including its detained chief Mufti Abdul Hannan are among others to face the trial in person or in absentia.
Zia, however, has not been made an accused in the case.
The court fixed November 11 for the next date of hearing when the defence lawyers are expected to cross examine Rumi.
Officials said out of 52 accused, 19 including Tarique Rahman and Haris Chowdhury are on the run, eight including three ex-IGPs are on bail and the rests including Babar is in jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe