Khokhar likely to replace Sherry Rehman as Pak`s envoy to US
Islamabad: Former Foreign Secretary Riaz Khokhar is tipped to replace Sherry Rehman as Pakistan`s Ambassador to the US, according to a media report today.
Rehman, who was appointed by the previous Pakistan People`s Party-led government, resigned yesterday following the party`s defeat in the May 11 general election.
Khokhar, who served as an envoy to China, the US and India, is tipped to replace her, The News daily reported.
Khokhar`s appointment is expected to be announced soon after PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif takes oath of office as Prime Minister, the report said.
Rehman, a journalist-turned-politician, also served as a minister in the PPP-led government.
She is expected to be given a key role in the PPP`s affairs and will take on an active role in her think tank, the Jinnah Institute in Islamabad.
She was appointed Ambassador to the US in November 2011 after Husain Haqqani was forced to quit when he was implicated in a scam over a mysterious memo that was sent to the US military leadership following the military raid that killed Osama bin Laden in Abbottabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH