Khokhar likely to replace Sherry Rehman as Pak`s envoy to US
Islamabad: Former Foreign Secretary Riaz Khokhar is tipped to replace Sherry Rehman as Pakistan`s Ambassador to the US, according to a media report today.
Rehman, who was appointed by the previous Pakistan People`s Party-led government, resigned yesterday following the party`s defeat in the May 11 general election.
Khokhar, who served as an envoy to China, the US and India, is tipped to replace her, The News daily reported.
Khokhar`s appointment is expected to be announced soon after PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif takes oath of office as Prime Minister, the report said.
Rehman, a journalist-turned-politician, also served as a minister in the PPP-led government.
She is expected to be given a key role in the PPP`s affairs and will take on an active role in her think tank, the Jinnah Institute in Islamabad.
She was appointed Ambassador to the US in November 2011 after Husain Haqqani was forced to quit when he was implicated in a scam over a mysterious memo that was sent to the US military leadership following the military raid that killed Osama bin Laden in Abbottabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?