Khoso sworn in as Pakistan`s caretaker Prime Minister
Islamabad: Mir Hazar Khan Khoso was on Monday sworn in as Pakistan`s caretaker Prime Minister by President Asif Ali Zardari during a ceremony held at the presidency.
The ceremony was attended by former premiers Raja Pervez Ashraf and Yousuf Raza Gilani, leaders of political parties, top military officials, bureaucrats and diplomats.
Khoso sat on the dais alongside Zardari and Ashraf during the brief ceremony held a day after the 84-year-old former judge was chosen by the Election Commission as the caretaker Prime Minister to conduct the general election scheduled for May 11.
After the Prime Minister and Leader of Opposition and a bipartisan parliamentary committee were unable to choose a caretaker premier after six days of deliberations, the matter was sent to the five-member Election Commission on Friday.
Following two days of discussions, Chief Election Commissioner Fakhruddin G Ebrahim announced yesterday Khoso had been chosen for the slot.
Most political parties, including the main opposition PML-N, have welcomed Khoso`s appointment.
However, Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf chief Imran Khan has expressed reservations about Khoso.
Khoso was among four candidates for the post of caretaker premier. While the PPP and its allies nominated Khoso and banker Ishrat Hussain, the PML-N proposed retired judge Nasir Aslam Zahid and Sindhi politician Rasool Baksh Palejo.
A law graduate from Karachi University, Khoso earlier served as Chief Justice of both the Balochistan High Court and the Federal Shariah Court and as Acting Governor of Balochistan.
Khoso has said he intends to form a caretaker administration with about a dozen ministers. He has listed the law and order situation and the holding of free and fair polls as the top priorities of the interim government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Give up terrorism and let’s talk', Sushma Swaraj's reply to Nawaz Sharif at UNGA
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Mahatma Gandhi: Know six things you didn't know about him
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- Know who replaced Katrina Kaif in film opposite Jackie Chan