Khyber Pukhtunkhwa govt approves better weapons for forces
Peshawar: Pakistan`s Khyber Pukhtunkhwa government on Thursday approved better weapons and equipment for security forces of the province, a day after a suicide bomber killed a top provincial minister.
Provincial Law and Parliamentary Minister Israrullah Gandapur and eight others were killed and over 30 injured when the bomber entered the politician`s house in the Kulachi area yesterday and detonated his explosive-laden vest.
A three-day mourning was announced as the minister was laid to rest. He was the third Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf member of Provincial Assembly to be killed by terrorist in less than six months.
In a cabinet meeting today, chaired by chief minister Pervez Khattak, reviewed the law and order situation and deliberated options to swiftly restore peace in the province.
Khattak said he hoped negotiations with militants would move forward in the best possible manner, and approved the acquisition of the latest equipment for security teams in the province.
He strongly condemned the killing of the minister adding certain quarters did not want peace in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and in rest of the country.
"If the situation was not resolved through dialogue, more options would be used because the PTI (Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf) have lost today a very committed worker," state-run APP news agency quoted Khattak as saying.
Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf has been insisting on talks with the Pakistani Taliban.
Party chief Imran Khan has even suggested that the banned group should be allowed to open an office in the country so that dialogue could be started.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM