Kids in India engaged in worst child labour: US
Washington: Observing that children in India
are engaged in the "worst forms" of child labour, the US has
asked Indian government to establish a minimum age for
employment in hazardous and non-hazardous jobs consistent with
"Children in India are engaged in the worst forms of
child labour. Most work in agriculture producing crops such as
rice and hybrid seeds.
Children who work in agriculture may carry heavy loads
and apply harmful pesticides," said US Department of Labour in
its 10th annual Congressional mandated report that provides
information on the efforts of certain US trade beneficiary
countries to eliminate the worst forms of child labour.
"Children in India also work in dangerous conditions,
quarrying sandstone and other materials, breaking stones and
polishing gems as well as in manufacturing," said the report,
according to which.
India along with Bangladesh and the Philippines lead
the world in the number of products made by child workers.
"We believe that every child has the right to an
education and a childhood free from exploitation. We believe
that God-given potential is present in every child born into
this world - no matter how poor, and no matter his or her
race, class, or geographical origin," US Labour Secretary,
Hilda Solis, said at the release of the report "Findings on
the Worst Forms of Child Labour".
Giving a detailed account to practices of child labour in
countries across the globe including India, the US report
asked the Indian Government to establish a "minimum age for
employment" in non-hazardous and hazardous occupations
consistent with international standards; and expand the scope
of the act to cover children working in family enterprises.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM