Kingmaker Koirala used communists to dismantle Prachanda`s govt
Kathmandu, May 23: Nepali Congress party chief
G P Koirala used the communists to dismantle the Maoist
government led by Prachanda to effectively emerge the
kingmaker as veteran CPN-UML leader Madhav Kumar Nepal was
elected the new Prime Minister of the country on Saturday.
Koirala had floated Nepal`s name as the new Prime
Minister to succeed Prachanda after the Maoist supremo quit
over dispute with the President over the reinstatement of the
The Maoists, whose nearly nine-month old government
collapsed after CPN-UML withdrew support, had blocked
Parliament for weeks before allowing the process for the
Former premier Koirala had earlier said that the
Prachanda-led Maoist government was like a ripe mango, which
will fall on its own.
I don’t have to topple the government, it will fall by
itself, Koirala had said few months back and his remarks came
Although the Nepali Congress with 113 seats is the
second largest party in the 601-member Constituent Assembly,
Koirala supported the CPN-UML`s claim for the top post.
Koirala could have staked claim for the Prime
Minister`s post, but he avoided it in order to isolate the
Maoists and teach a lesson to Prachanda, whom the former
premier had blamed for breaching the politics of consensus and
cooperation in the country in the aftermath of the landmark
The octogenarian leader, who has not been in the best
of health over the last few months, today attended the
Parliament and proposed Nepal`s name for the top post.
Prachanda was conspicuous by his absence in Parliament today.
In a way Koirala used the communists against the
Maoists to dismantle the Maoist government led by Prachanda.
Koirala had picked Dr Ram Baran Yadav as presidential
candidate last year after the Maoists decided to support
Madhesi leader Ramraja Prasad Singh instead of keeping their
words to back the Nepali Congress chief for the post of the
head of state.
Prachanda had earlier assured Koirala that he would
back him as president for his role in bringing the Maoists
into the mainstream after a 2006 deal. However, Prachanda
refused to support Koirala when the Maoists emerged as the
largest party in the Constituent Assembly polls last year.
Analysts say it was the beginning of distrust between
the two leaders.
Though Koirala, who led the popular 2006 `people`s
movement` that restored multiparty democracy by abolishing the
unpopular 240-year-old monarchy, could not fulfill his dream
of becoming the first post royal president of republic Nepal,
his blessings made Dr. Yadav the head of state.
The 56-year-old CPN-UML leader Nepal, who has backing
of 351 lawmakers in the 601-member Constituent Assembly, was
elected unopposed with the support of a 22-party alliance. The
Maoists boycotted voting. It ended weeks-long political crisis
and easing the Maoists out of power after a short stint.
Nepal will replace Maoist chief Prachanda who resigned
as premier on May 4 after differences with President
Yadav on the issue of sacking of Gen Rukmangad Katawal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh