Kyrgyz ex-prosecutor held on coup charge
Moscow: Kyrgyzstan`s former military prosecutor Kubatbek Kozhonaliyev has been arrested over an alleged coup attempt, his lawyer said Monday.
Last Wednesday demonstrators in the country`s capital Bishkek demanded nationalisation of the Kumtor goldfield, and tried to storm parliament, throwing rocks at security forces. Riot police broke up the demonstration in which 12 people were injured.
The Kyzgyz prosecutor general`s office opened a criminal case on charges of attempting a coup, which carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison.
Three MPs have been arrested for allegedly urging the rioters to storm parliament and the presidential administration building.
Kozhonaliyev was detained during the rally, his lawyer Azizbek Turdaliyev said, claiming that his client did not incite violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IPL 2016, KKR vs SRH: Colin Munro's run-out was the turning point of the match, says Gautam Gambhir
- D-St gives thumbs up to 2 years of Modi govt: Sensex tops 26,600-mark; Nifty above 8,100-level
- CBSE 10th Result 2016, Class X Results 2016 (cbse.nic.in) to be declared on May 30 not today on May 27 or May 28
- Whoa! Kareena Kapoor Khan gets bigger role in Sonam Kapoor's 'Veera Di Shaadi'?
- Faux pas: Ghaziabad cops verify Rahul Gandhi as a driver residing in Indirapuram