Kyrgyz ex-prosecutor held on coup charge
Moscow: Kyrgyzstan`s former military prosecutor Kubatbek Kozhonaliyev has been arrested over an alleged coup attempt, his lawyer said Monday.
Last Wednesday demonstrators in the country`s capital Bishkek demanded nationalisation of the Kumtor goldfield, and tried to storm parliament, throwing rocks at security forces. Riot police broke up the demonstration in which 12 people were injured.
The Kyzgyz prosecutor general`s office opened a criminal case on charges of attempting a coup, which carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison.
Three MPs have been arrested for allegedly urging the rioters to storm parliament and the presidential administration building.
Kozhonaliyev was detained during the rally, his lawyer Azizbek Turdaliyev said, claiming that his client did not incite violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan