Kyrgyz ex-prosecutor held on coup charge
Moscow: Kyrgyzstan`s former military prosecutor Kubatbek Kozhonaliyev has been arrested over an alleged coup attempt, his lawyer said Monday.
Last Wednesday demonstrators in the country`s capital Bishkek demanded nationalisation of the Kumtor goldfield, and tried to storm parliament, throwing rocks at security forces. Riot police broke up the demonstration in which 12 people were injured.
The Kyzgyz prosecutor general`s office opened a criminal case on charges of attempting a coup, which carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison.
Three MPs have been arrested for allegedly urging the rioters to storm parliament and the presidential administration building.
Kozhonaliyev was detained during the rally, his lawyer Azizbek Turdaliyev said, claiming that his client did not incite violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter