Kyrgyz ex-prosecutor held on coup charge
Moscow: Kyrgyzstan`s former military prosecutor Kubatbek Kozhonaliyev has been arrested over an alleged coup attempt, his lawyer said Monday.
Last Wednesday demonstrators in the country`s capital Bishkek demanded nationalisation of the Kumtor goldfield, and tried to storm parliament, throwing rocks at security forces. Riot police broke up the demonstration in which 12 people were injured.
The Kyzgyz prosecutor general`s office opened a criminal case on charges of attempting a coup, which carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison.
Three MPs have been arrested for allegedly urging the rioters to storm parliament and the presidential administration building.
Kozhonaliyev was detained during the rally, his lawyer Azizbek Turdaliyev said, claiming that his client did not incite violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over SP leader Azam Khan's controversial remark on Muslim population
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowance Committee likely to submit report on 20 February
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO