Kyrgyz ex-prosecutor held on coup charge
Moscow: Kyrgyzstan`s former military prosecutor Kubatbek Kozhonaliyev has been arrested over an alleged coup attempt, his lawyer said Monday.
Last Wednesday demonstrators in the country`s capital Bishkek demanded nationalisation of the Kumtor goldfield, and tried to storm parliament, throwing rocks at security forces. Riot police broke up the demonstration in which 12 people were injured.
The Kyzgyz prosecutor general`s office opened a criminal case on charges of attempting a coup, which carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison.
Three MPs have been arrested for allegedly urging the rioters to storm parliament and the presidential administration building.
Kozhonaliyev was detained during the rally, his lawyer Azizbek Turdaliyev said, claiming that his client did not incite violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!