Lahore court issues notice to Pak govt on petition seeking release of Indian prisoners
Islamabad: The Lahore High Court has issued a notice to the interior and foreign affairs secretaries on a petition seeking release from Pakistani jail of two Indian prisoners.
Justice Shujaat Ali Khan issued the notice seeking release of Ram Das and Mangal Singh as they had already undergone the sentence.
According to the Daily Times, the judge directed both secretaries to file their reply within two weeks.
The prisoners’ wives moved a petition through Awais Sheikh for the release of their husbands from Kot Lakhpat Jail.
The counsel submitted that a case had been lodged against Mangal Singh by the Kot Naina police of Shakargarh, Sialkot, in May 2011.
He submitted that both the prisoners had completed their terms and to keep them in jail amounted to detention, which was illegal, unlawful, and against the principles of natural justice.
He said it was a violation of international law and against the rules of jail manual.
According to the report, he requested the court to direct the home secretary and the inspector general (prisons) to produce Mangal Singh and Ram Das before the court.
He also requested the court to issue directions to the interior and foreign affairs secretaries to make arrangements for sending both prisoners back to their homeland, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- RBI to lower rates by another 0.50% in FY17: Morgan Stanley
- Telcos take cover under new technology to mask call drops
- Black money: PM Modi to visit Switzerland, discuss issue with Swiss Prez
- Indian discus thrower Seema Punia qualifies for 2016 Rio Olympics
- Karan Singh Grover had a great time at 'The Kapil Sharma Show', wants to visit again!