Lahore court issues notice to Pak govt on petition seeking release of Indian prisoners
Islamabad: The Lahore High Court has issued a notice to the interior and foreign affairs secretaries on a petition seeking release from Pakistani jail of two Indian prisoners.
Justice Shujaat Ali Khan issued the notice seeking release of Ram Das and Mangal Singh as they had already undergone the sentence.
According to the Daily Times, the judge directed both secretaries to file their reply within two weeks.
The prisoners’ wives moved a petition through Awais Sheikh for the release of their husbands from Kot Lakhpat Jail.
The counsel submitted that a case had been lodged against Mangal Singh by the Kot Naina police of Shakargarh, Sialkot, in May 2011.
He submitted that both the prisoners had completed their terms and to keep them in jail amounted to detention, which was illegal, unlawful, and against the principles of natural justice.
He said it was a violation of international law and against the rules of jail manual.
According to the report, he requested the court to direct the home secretary and the inspector general (prisons) to produce Mangal Singh and Ram Das before the court.
He also requested the court to issue directions to the interior and foreign affairs secretaries to make arrangements for sending both prisoners back to their homeland, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL