Lahore court issues notice to Pak govt on petition seeking release of Indian prisoners
Islamabad: The Lahore High Court has issued a notice to the interior and foreign affairs secretaries on a petition seeking release from Pakistani jail of two Indian prisoners.
Justice Shujaat Ali Khan issued the notice seeking release of Ram Das and Mangal Singh as they had already undergone the sentence.
According to the Daily Times, the judge directed both secretaries to file their reply within two weeks.
The prisoners’ wives moved a petition through Awais Sheikh for the release of their husbands from Kot Lakhpat Jail.
The counsel submitted that a case had been lodged against Mangal Singh by the Kot Naina police of Shakargarh, Sialkot, in May 2011.
He submitted that both the prisoners had completed their terms and to keep them in jail amounted to detention, which was illegal, unlawful, and against the principles of natural justice.
He said it was a violation of international law and against the rules of jail manual.
According to the report, he requested the court to direct the home secretary and the inspector general (prisons) to produce Mangal Singh and Ram Das before the court.
He also requested the court to issue directions to the interior and foreign affairs secretaries to make arrangements for sending both prisoners back to their homeland, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?