Lahore court issues notice to Pak govt on petition seeking release of Indian prisoners
Islamabad: The Lahore High Court has issued a notice to the interior and foreign affairs secretaries on a petition seeking release from Pakistani jail of two Indian prisoners.
Justice Shujaat Ali Khan issued the notice seeking release of Ram Das and Mangal Singh as they had already undergone the sentence.
According to the Daily Times, the judge directed both secretaries to file their reply within two weeks.
The prisoners’ wives moved a petition through Awais Sheikh for the release of their husbands from Kot Lakhpat Jail.
The counsel submitted that a case had been lodged against Mangal Singh by the Kot Naina police of Shakargarh, Sialkot, in May 2011.
He submitted that both the prisoners had completed their terms and to keep them in jail amounted to detention, which was illegal, unlawful, and against the principles of natural justice.
He said it was a violation of international law and against the rules of jail manual.
According to the report, he requested the court to direct the home secretary and the inspector general (prisons) to produce Mangal Singh and Ram Das before the court.
He also requested the court to issue directions to the interior and foreign affairs secretaries to make arrangements for sending both prisoners back to their homeland, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan