Lahore HC dismisses petitions on Davis immunity
Islamabad: The Lahore High Court has dismissed petitions pertaining to the diplomatic immunity of the arrested CIA contractor Raymond Davis after the foreign ministry admitted that they have no record of his diplomatic status, a media report said Monday.
Deputy Attorney General Naveed Enayet Malik submitted in the foreign ministry`s reply that: "Raymond Davis`s correct name is Raymond Allen Davis to whom business visa was given on the US government request."
Raymond Davis was arrested after he gunned down two Pakistani men in Lahore. Following the incident, the US embassy approached the foreign ministry for immediate release of Davis.
Deputy attorney general said that the foreign ministry was fully aware of the rule of law and their responsibility and added that whatever record was available relating to Raymond Davis would be submitted in the court.
The petitioner, Azhar Siddique, raising an objection, said: "Why was the government hesitant in giving a categorical statement relating to the immunity of Raymond Davis."
Malik said that as the trial court was already hearing this case, the decision on immunity would also be taken by the court in accordance with the law.
The chief justice, while dismissing the petitions relating to Davis`s immunity, said the trial court will take a decision on this, Geo News reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections