Lahore HC dismisses petitions on Davis immunity
Islamabad: The Lahore High Court has dismissed petitions pertaining to the diplomatic immunity of the arrested CIA contractor Raymond Davis after the foreign ministry admitted that they have no record of his diplomatic status, a media report said Monday.
Deputy Attorney General Naveed Enayet Malik submitted in the foreign ministry`s reply that: "Raymond Davis`s correct name is Raymond Allen Davis to whom business visa was given on the US government request."
Raymond Davis was arrested after he gunned down two Pakistani men in Lahore. Following the incident, the US embassy approached the foreign ministry for immediate release of Davis.
Deputy attorney general said that the foreign ministry was fully aware of the rule of law and their responsibility and added that whatever record was available relating to Raymond Davis would be submitted in the court.
The petitioner, Azhar Siddique, raising an objection, said: "Why was the government hesitant in giving a categorical statement relating to the immunity of Raymond Davis."
Malik said that as the trial court was already hearing this case, the decision on immunity would also be taken by the court in accordance with the law.
The chief justice, while dismissing the petitions relating to Davis`s immunity, said the trial court will take a decision on this, Geo News reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video