Lakhvi`s indictment to be challenged in Lahore HC: Lawyer
Lahore: The indictment of LeT leader Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi and six other suspects by a Pakistani anti-terror court for planning and helping execute the Mumbai attacks will be challenged in the Lahore High Court as authorities have no solid evidence against them, the militant commander`s lawyer said on Sunday.
Khwaja Sultan Ahmed, the counsel for Lakhvi, said he would file a petition in the Lahore High Court to challenge the indictment before the next hearing of the case in the anti-terror court on December 5. Mere propaganda against the accused will not be enough to convict them," he said.
"I don`t think the government has any solid evidence against the accused.”
The court has indicted them under pressure (from the Interior Ministry) and I am quite hopeful that the Lahore High Court will undo it," Ahmed said.
A Rawalpindi-based anti-terror court last week indicted Lakhvi, Hamad Amin Sadiq, Mazhar Iqbal alias Abu al Qama, Abdul Wajid alias Zarar Shah, Shahid Jamil Riaz, Jamil Ahmed and Younas Anjum for providing training, weapons and funds to the 10 terrorists, including Ajmal Amir Kasab, to carry out the attacks in Mumbai during November 26-28 last year that killed nearly 180 people.
Lakhvi was described in the prosecution’s chargesheet as the mastermind of the attacks All the accused have pleaded not guilty.
Ahmed was of the view that there are also "many loopholes" in the case against Kasab in India. He said if the Pakistan government allowed him to do so, he would be willing to go to India and challenge the Indian lawyers in this regard.
For example, he said the prosecution had presented a witness who claimed he had met Kasab in Nepal and found maps of Mumbai in his possession.
"The prosecution did not present that witness again, perhaps finding him hardly an impressive one," he said. The confessional statement of Kasab too is questionable, Ahmed claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in