Lakhvi`s lawyer dies after brief illness
Lahore: Khwaja Sultan Ahmed, the lawyer of
Lashkar-e-Taiba commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, died here
on Saturday following a brief illness at the age of 82.
Ahmed`s son-in-law Muhammad Hasan told PTI that the noted
lawyer had been admitted in Lahore`s Ittefaq Hospital on
December 29 after he was diagnosed with meningitis.
"He recovered but a few days ago, he contracted pneumonia
which proved fatal," Hasan said.
He was a well known advocate and several of his
associates went on to serve in the superior judiciary,
including former Lahore High Court Chief Justice Khwaja
During his 60-year career, Ahmed represented several
leading politicians and noted personalities in high-profile.
Ahmed had defended former premier Nawaz Sharif when he
was charged with hijacking after he issued orders to prevent
the landing of an aircraft carrying then army chief Pervez
Musharraf in 1999.
Ahmed’s younger son Khwaja Haris has served as Advocate
General of Punjab province.
While defending Lakhvi after he was charged with
involvement in the 2008 Mumbai attacks, Ahmed played a key
role in stymieing the prosecution?s efforts to take forward
In his last conversation with PTI, Ahmed had claimed that
India had declared him persona non grata and it might not
issue him a visa to join a commission that is set to visit
India to interview officials who played a key role in
investigating the Mumbai incident.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!