Lakhvi`s lawyer dies after brief illness
Lahore: Khwaja Sultan Ahmed, the lawyer of
Lashkar-e-Taiba commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, died here
on Saturday following a brief illness at the age of 82.
Ahmed`s son-in-law Muhammad Hasan told PTI that the noted
lawyer had been admitted in Lahore`s Ittefaq Hospital on
December 29 after he was diagnosed with meningitis.
"He recovered but a few days ago, he contracted pneumonia
which proved fatal," Hasan said.
He was a well known advocate and several of his
associates went on to serve in the superior judiciary,
including former Lahore High Court Chief Justice Khwaja
During his 60-year career, Ahmed represented several
leading politicians and noted personalities in high-profile.
Ahmed had defended former premier Nawaz Sharif when he
was charged with hijacking after he issued orders to prevent
the landing of an aircraft carrying then army chief Pervez
Musharraf in 1999.
Ahmed’s younger son Khwaja Haris has served as Advocate
General of Punjab province.
While defending Lakhvi after he was charged with
involvement in the 2008 Mumbai attacks, Ahmed played a key
role in stymieing the prosecution?s efforts to take forward
In his last conversation with PTI, Ahmed had claimed that
India had declared him persona non grata and it might not
issue him a visa to join a commission that is set to visit
India to interview officials who played a key role in
investigating the Mumbai incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal