Lakhvi`s lawyer has fake degree; Pak SC to decide
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Supreme Court on Tuesday
admitted an application seeking cancellation of licences of 57
lawyers, including the counsel of Mumbai attacks accused and
LeT commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, for allegedly possessing
Malik Waheed Anjum, a former president of the Rawalpindi
Bar Association, filed the application in the court of Chief
Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry.
The court admitted his plea and asked different
universities and institutions to provide the records of the 57
lawyers by August 31.
The list of lawyers given by Anjum in his application
includes Shabaz Rajput, the counsel of Lakhvi and other
accused in the 2008 Mumbai attacks case.
Talking to media outside the apex court, Anjum claimed
many lawyers with fake documents had left the profession after
tendering apology to the bar association.
He alleged that Rajput was "over-confident and
organising a group to counter the move against fake degree
"Former Rawalpindi Bar Association office-bearer Shabaz
Rajput is so confident because his mother was a brigadier in
the army medical corps," Anjum claimed.
He said authorities should carry out a thorough probe
to trace the ring in Punjab University that allegedly attests
fake documents with genuine stamps.
Rajput had earlier dismissed allegations that he
possessed a fake degree and said that he had submitted
documents and testimonials on the authenticity of his degree
to the court conducting the trial of the seven Pakistani
suspects charged with involvement in the Mumbai attacks.
He had also described the move as a bid to "pressurise"
him to stop acting as counsel for the suspects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...