Lakhvi`s plea seeking transfer of 26/11 case rejected
Lahore: A court on Friday dismissed Lashker-e-Toiba operational commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi`s application seeking the transfer of his trial for planning and facilitating the Mumbai terror attacks from Rawalpindi to this eastern Pakistani city.
While disposing of the application, Lahore High Court Chief Justice Khwaja Muhammad Sharif directed the federal and Punjab governments to ensure that foolproof security is provided to Lakhvi and his counsel Khwaja Sultan.
Chief Justice Sharif also said there was no justification for the request for Lakhvi`s trial to be shifted from Rawalpindi to Lahore.
Sharif had yesterday reserved his judgement after hearing arguments by Lakhvi`s counsel and government lawyers.
In his application, Lakhvi had claimed that there was a purported threat to his life as agents of the Indian spy agency Research and Analyses Wing were present in Rawalpindi.
He asked for his trial to be transferred from an anti-terrorism court in Rawalpindi to Lahore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy