Landslide, accidents in Nepal; 12 killed, 5 missing
Kathmandu: Nine people, including eight of a family, have died after a landslide triggered by heavy rains struck a remote eastern district of Nepal while three more died after being swept away by a river, police said on Friday.
Asta Bahadur Siwa, 65, and seven of his family members were killed when the landslide struck his house at Singthapa in Taplejung district, 350 km east of Kathmandu on Wednesday night.
Three others went reported to be missing.
Meanwhile, search operations continued at the site for the second day today with the help of the Nepali Army and Armed Police Force personnel.
In another incident, three members of a family died after being swept away by Damilekhola river in Sindhuli district on Thursday morning, while two people were reported missing as a tanker plunged into a river in Dhading district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents