Landslides death toll in Bangladesh rises to 110
Dhaka: With the recovery of 12 more bodies on Thursday, the death toll in landslides triggered by the heaviest rain in years reached 110 while thousands were left stranded in Bangladesh`s southeastern hilly region.
A top official said with the recovery of 12 more bodies overnight the toll eventually reached 110 while 36 deaths were counted in Bandarban hill district, 41 in sea resort town of Cox`s Bazar and 31 in the port city of Chittagong and its outskirts.
About 150,000 people had also been marooned by the floods, said a disaster control official.
Rescuers yesterday retrieved nine more bodies from debris that raised the toll to 94.
"The rescue operations have been called off as no more people were found trapped under debris," Divisional commissioner of southeastern Chittagong administrative division Sirajul Haque Khan told newsmen.
However, neighbours said at least four people remained traceless in Bandarban and feared they could be washed away by onrush of waters from upstream region.
The torrential rains triggered a series of landslides and onrush of waters from hills causing the tragedy over the past several days in three south-eastern districts.
Inclement weather forced aviation authorities to suspend the port city`s air link with rest of the country for two days until it resumed in this morning while railway authorities were struggling to resume the port city`s direct train link as gushing rain waters from hills collapsed a major railway bridge on the outskirts of the city.
Met department said more rain was expected over the next few days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves