Lanka facing challenges for not being pro-West, minister says
Colombo: Sri Lanka faces international and diplomatic challenges as the government has spurned pressure from powerful Western countries over its human rights record, a senior minister on Saturday alleged.
"Our leader (President Mahinda Rajapaksa) is being disliked because he is not pro-West," senior minister Nimal Siripala de Silva said while addressing a political gathering in the central district of Kandy.
"As we know we are being threatened with international investigations against us. No international force would be able to undermine us if we remain economically stronger and keep our heads high," de Silva said.
Sri Lanka faces a third successive resolution at the UN Human Rights Council in March censuring the country on its lack of progress on human rights accountability and reconciliation with the Tamil minority after a bloody three-decade civil war.
The government fears that the resolution may end up calling for an independent international probe on Sri Lanka`s alleged war crimes during the final phase of the military battle that crushed the LTTE in 2009.
The issue is being used by the government to whip up nationalist sentiment in its current poll campaign for the Western and Southern provincial council elections to be held next month.
The government blames the pro-LTTE Tamil diaspora living in the West for instigating action against Sri Lanka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you