Lanka minister for boycott of US brand names
Colombo: Sri Lankans should boycott American
products in protest against the US sponsored resolution
against Sri Lanka at the UN Human Rights Council, a government
minister said on Tuesday.
"I will stop using my gmail account. Let us boycott
Pepsi, Coca Cola, Google and McDonalds", Wimal Weerawansa, the
Minister of Housing and Construction said, addressing an
anti-US demonstration here.
Weerawansa`s National Freedom Front is a constituent
party of the ruling coalition of President Mahinda Rajapaksa.
"This is an US-LTTE resolution", Weerawansa charged
adding that the ulterior motive was to haul Rajapaksa and the
Sri Lankan military leaders before the International Criminal
"There will be representatives from five countries coming
to Sri Lanka if the resolution gets passed at the UNHRC",
Weerawansa said. That would be the first step to charge Sri
Lankan President with war crimes, he added.
The US resolution aimed at committing Colombo to
implement its own Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission
(LLRC) recommendations is being branded as interference in Sri
The LLRC was cited as Colombo`s answer to international
calls for accountability over alleged rights abuses that took
place during the final phase of the military campaign against
the LTTE, who fought to set up a separate homeland for the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!