Lanka minister for boycott of US brand names
Colombo: Sri Lankans should boycott American
products in protest against the US sponsored resolution
against Sri Lanka at the UN Human Rights Council, a government
minister said on Tuesday.
"I will stop using my gmail account. Let us boycott
Pepsi, Coca Cola, Google and McDonalds", Wimal Weerawansa, the
Minister of Housing and Construction said, addressing an
anti-US demonstration here.
Weerawansa`s National Freedom Front is a constituent
party of the ruling coalition of President Mahinda Rajapaksa.
"This is an US-LTTE resolution", Weerawansa charged
adding that the ulterior motive was to haul Rajapaksa and the
Sri Lankan military leaders before the International Criminal
"There will be representatives from five countries coming
to Sri Lanka if the resolution gets passed at the UNHRC",
Weerawansa said. That would be the first step to charge Sri
Lankan President with war crimes, he added.
The US resolution aimed at committing Colombo to
implement its own Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission
(LLRC) recommendations is being branded as interference in Sri
The LLRC was cited as Colombo`s answer to international
calls for accountability over alleged rights abuses that took
place during the final phase of the military campaign against
the LTTE, who fought to set up a separate homeland for the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now