Lanka never made any claims over Andamans: Bogollagama
Colombo: Refuting reports that Sri Lanka
made any claims over India`s Andaman Islands, Foreign Minister
Rohitha Bogollagama has said the country was only seeking
undersea sediment rights near the Islands.
"On November 4, in response to a question that was raised
(in the House), I never said that we are going to claim
Andaman Islands or any of the Islands belonging to India,"
Bogollagama told the Sri Lankan Parliament.
He was responding to a query from senior UNP opposition
leader Ravi Karunanayake about Sri Lanka`s claim for its sea
bed rights under the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea.
The UN Commission on the Limits of the Continental Shelf
will decide the Lankan case for extending the outer limit of
legal continental shelf beyond 200 nautical miles, which will
also cover some undersea areas near the Andamans.
"It was categorically stated that our continental shelf
lies below those part but in the event there are overlapping
areas there is the consultation process which I have
reiterated in my statement," he told the House yesterday.
The minister said that five rounds of consultations have
been held with India in this regard since the work commenced
on Sri Lanka`s submission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!