Lanka never made any claims over Andamans: Bogollagama
Colombo: Refuting reports that Sri Lanka
made any claims over India`s Andaman Islands, Foreign Minister
Rohitha Bogollagama has said the country was only seeking
undersea sediment rights near the Islands.
"On November 4, in response to a question that was raised
(in the House), I never said that we are going to claim
Andaman Islands or any of the Islands belonging to India,"
Bogollagama told the Sri Lankan Parliament.
He was responding to a query from senior UNP opposition
leader Ravi Karunanayake about Sri Lanka`s claim for its sea
bed rights under the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea.
The UN Commission on the Limits of the Continental Shelf
will decide the Lankan case for extending the outer limit of
legal continental shelf beyond 200 nautical miles, which will
also cover some undersea areas near the Andamans.
"It was categorically stated that our continental shelf
lies below those part but in the event there are overlapping
areas there is the consultation process which I have
reiterated in my statement," he told the House yesterday.
The minister said that five rounds of consultations have
been held with India in this regard since the work commenced
on Sri Lanka`s submission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- Scientists produce rare wood bison calves through IVF
- Munich pulls together after shopping mall shooting
- West Indies legend Vivian Richards hails Virat Kohli's 'magnificent' innings
- Indian aid worker Judith D'Souza rescued from captors in Afghanistan returns home
- 80 killed, over 200 injured in twin suicide bomb attacks on Kabul protesters; Islamic State claims responsibility