Lanka Prez Rajapaksa congratulates Nawaz Sharif on poll win
Colombo: Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa has congratulated Pakistan`s PML-N party chief Nawaz Sharif on his election victory.
"The President had telephoned Mr Sharif from Uganda to offer his congratulations on the electoral victory," presidential spokesman Mohan Samaranayake said on Tuesday.
Rajapaksa is on a 4-day official visit to Kampala.
Sri Lanka regards Pakistan as a close ally in the region with cooperation coming from its South Asian neighbour during the island`s armed conflict with the LTTE.
Meanwhile the Pakistan High Commission here today announced the arrival of a Pakistani Naval ship equipped with multi role missiles and other modern weapon systems in Sri Lanka`s eastern port of Trincomalee.
The ship with the name SAIF is on a goodwill visit and will remain in the port until May 17.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured