Lanka Prez Rajapaksa congratulates Nawaz Sharif on poll win
Colombo: Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa has congratulated Pakistan`s PML-N party chief Nawaz Sharif on his election victory.
"The President had telephoned Mr Sharif from Uganda to offer his congratulations on the electoral victory," presidential spokesman Mohan Samaranayake said on Tuesday.
Rajapaksa is on a 4-day official visit to Kampala.
Sri Lanka regards Pakistan as a close ally in the region with cooperation coming from its South Asian neighbour during the island`s armed conflict with the LTTE.
Meanwhile the Pakistan High Commission here today announced the arrival of a Pakistani Naval ship equipped with multi role missiles and other modern weapon systems in Sri Lanka`s eastern port of Trincomalee.
The ship with the name SAIF is on a goodwill visit and will remain in the port until May 17.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender