Lanka Prez visits opposition lawmaker after report
Colombo: A frontline opposition lawmaker who has locked horns with the powerful government of President Mahinda Rajapaksa over the impeachment of the top judge has reported a firing incident apparently targeting his house.
The incident reported last night prompted the President to pay an unusual visit to the lawmaker`s residence.
The main opposition United National Party (UNP) legislator Wijeyadasa Rajapaksha`s Colombo suburban house was reportedly fired at by an unknown group last night.
"I heard two gun shots past midnight yesterday. Immediately after the firing I heard a vehicle speeding away towards the main road. I opened the window and looked around, could not see anyone.
"In the morning when I was leaving house I found two used cartridges which looked to be the type used in pistols," Wijeyadasa told a local radio.
President Rajapaksa this morning visited his house after he reported the firing incident, presidential officials said.
Wijeyadasa is the Chair of the lawyers` apex body, Bar Association of Sri Lanka (BASL) which last week resolved to follow three drastic actions against Sri Lankan President`s attempt to impeach the chief justice Shirani Bandaranayake, the country`s first woman top judge.
The BASL resolution would mean its members would not recognise Bandaranayake`s successor if she were to be removed as a result of a process which is unfair and lacking in transparency.
Presidential officials said Rajapaksa inquired about Rajapaksha`s well being and assured investigation into the alleged shooting.
The suburban Mirihana police said investigation is underway.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!