Lanka Prez visits opposition lawmaker after report
Colombo: A frontline opposition lawmaker who has locked horns with the powerful government of President Mahinda Rajapaksa over the impeachment of the top judge has reported a firing incident apparently targeting his house.
The incident reported last night prompted the President to pay an unusual visit to the lawmaker`s residence.
The main opposition United National Party (UNP) legislator Wijeyadasa Rajapaksha`s Colombo suburban house was reportedly fired at by an unknown group last night.
"I heard two gun shots past midnight yesterday. Immediately after the firing I heard a vehicle speeding away towards the main road. I opened the window and looked around, could not see anyone.
"In the morning when I was leaving house I found two used cartridges which looked to be the type used in pistols," Wijeyadasa told a local radio.
President Rajapaksa this morning visited his house after he reported the firing incident, presidential officials said.
Wijeyadasa is the Chair of the lawyers` apex body, Bar Association of Sri Lanka (BASL) which last week resolved to follow three drastic actions against Sri Lankan President`s attempt to impeach the chief justice Shirani Bandaranayake, the country`s first woman top judge.
The BASL resolution would mean its members would not recognise Bandaranayake`s successor if she were to be removed as a result of a process which is unfair and lacking in transparency.
Presidential officials said Rajapaksa inquired about Rajapaksha`s well being and assured investigation into the alleged shooting.
The suburban Mirihana police said investigation is underway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’