Lanka SC recommends postponement of top judge`s impeachment
Colombo: The Sri Lankan Supreme Court on Thursday asked a parliamentary committee to postpone the impeachment process against Shirani Bandaranayake, the country`s first woman chief justice.
54-year-old Bandaranayake was to appear before an 11-member Parliamentary Select Committee (PSC) tomorrow, the beginning of impeachment motion seeking her removal from office alleging 14 charges of personal and professional misconduct.
The Supreme Court recommended that the PSC proceedings be held back until the apex court gave its determination on the constitutionality of parliament`s right to carry out investigation based on parliamentary standing orders.
Chrishmal Warnasuriya, the Attorney for one of the petitioners who sought a writ against the parliamentary panel, said that SC had asked for postponement of the hearing scheduled for tomorrow.
"We went to Appeal Court (AC) against the constitutionality of standing order 78A of parliament. The AC referred the matter to the SC for an interpretation. The SC however refused to issue an interim order against the impeachment process," Warnasuriya said.
The government moved the impeachment against Bandaranayake as a result of a recent dispute with her.
The government`s move was criticised by the US, Commonwealth and international rights watch groups as an action undermining the independence of judiciary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon