Lanka SC wants referendum on controversial bill
Colombo: Sri Lanka`s top court has determined that a bill for livelihood upliftment, that is at the centre of tussle between the government and judiciary, be subject to a national referendum and a two thirds vote in parliament.
Speaker Chamal Rajapaksa announced the Supreme Court determination today in parliament.
The Supreme Court directive came in the background of attempts by the government to remove the Supreme Court Chief Justice Shirani Bandaranayake from office through a motion of impeachment.
The government was angered by an earlier ruling of the court that the `Divi Naguma` bill, as it is called, needs to be approved by the island`s nine provincial councils before being adopted in parliament.
This and other connected issues muddied the relationship between the government and the judiciary.
The Supreme Court has ruled that certain clauses of the draft bill had to be approved by a majority in the parliament as well as through a public referendum.
President Mahinda Rajapaksa`s government enjoys two thirds majority in the 225-member parliament so the ruling would not adversely affect the government.
The government was looking to set up a department under the bill, which will take over the existing Poor Relief Fund Authority, the Southern Development Authority and the Upcountry Development Authority.
This would effectively give more powers to the economic development minister who is the president`s younger brother, Basil Rajapaksa.
The opposition has dubbed the move as an attempt by the Rajapaksa brothers to extend their grip on the government.
The Supreme Court has also ruled that certain clauses in the Appropriation Bill 2013 which covers the 2013 budget to be unveiled this Thursday needs two thirds majority in parliament.
A civil society think tank petitioned the Supreme Court that certain sections of the bill impinged on parliament`s control of finances.
Meanwhile, the parliamentary officials said the impeachment motion against the chief justice has been placed on the order book of parliament.
Speaker Chamal Rajapaksa called a meeting of the leaders of the parties represented in parliament to discuss the matter. At least 117 members of the government last week handed over the motion of impeachment against Bandaranayake, the first woman chief justice of the country.
It contains 14 charges against her and call for her removal.
The government has pressed for the impeachment of Bandaranayake despite concerns expressed against by opposition parties, civil society groups and Buddhist chief prelates.
The government of the US has urged Sri Lanka to avoid any action that would impede the efficacy and independence of the judiciary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah