Lanka slams UN rights chief for seeking probe into violations
Colombo: Sri Lanka on Monday slammed UN
rights watchdog chief Navi Pillay for calling for a fresh
international probe into alleged war crimes committed during
the final stages of the ethnic conflict in the country that
ended in 2009.
Launching a scathing attack on the United Nations High
Commissioner for Human Rights, Sri Lanka questioned her bona
fides and said her actions were unbecoming of her high office.
"The High Commissioner unbecomingly deems it
appropriate to call for action on the recommendations of the
said report which are based on unverified information and also
un-sourced, and would remain so for the next 20 years," said
Kshenuka Senewiratne, Sri Lanka`s permanent representative to
the Human Rights Council (HRC).
Colombo`s outburst came as Pillai in a statement to
the Geneva-based HRC at its 17th session today called for a
fresh international investigation into alleged war crimes
during the civil war.
Pillai had referred to a UN expert panel report which
collected testimony and put together what they called
"credible allegations" of gross human rights abuses and other
crimes against humanity committed both by Lankan troops and
the LTTE during the final stages of the three-decade civil
Sri Lanka has been keen to avoid any reference to
Secretary General Ban Ki-moon`s controversial report which was
released in April. It called for an international probe which
Colombo has consistently rejected.
Her statement released in Colombo together with parts
of Pillai`s comments to the Council came ahead of a meeting
Sri Lanka is holding tomorrow to showcase its military success
in defeating the LTTE.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj