Lanka to clarify reasons behind Fonseka`s arrest to monks
Colombo: Sri Lankan government on Monday said
it will send a delegation to meet the country`s powerful
Buddhist monks to clarify the reasons behind the detention of
former army chief Sarath Fonseka after they asked President
Mahinda Rajapaksa to release the "gallant officer".
"The government will be soon sending a delegation to
(Central) Kandy to meet the Mahanayakas of the four chapters
to clarify the situation," Maitripala Sirisena, the General
Secretary of the main ruling coalition party, Sri Lankan
Freedom Party (SLFP) told reporters.
He said the government would explain the
circumstances that led to the arrest and detention of General
Sarath Fonseka. "We will send a delegation to Kandy to give
explanation to the Mahanayakas on the matter," the leader said
in a prompt response to the appeal from the monks.
The Mahanayaka Theras of the four Chapters, in a
letter on Saturday had asked Rajapaksa to "retract the charges
levelled against Fonseka and release him from custody and also
provide him with adequate security."
The clergy had appealed to Rajapaksa to release
Fonseka from custody, saying it was "unacceptable" to arrest a
"gallant officer", who played a key role in defeating LTTE,
due to "petty political differences".
Rejecting the Opposition charges that the former
army chief and defeated opposition Presidential candidate`s
arrest was a "political revenge," Sirisena said, the General
while serving in the army had violated the norms by
interacting with the political parties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days