Lanka to offer tax breaks to set up casinos
Colombo: In an effort to boost tourism, Sri Lanka plans to offer tax concessions to firms for operating casinos in Colombo despite protests from the opposition and from within the ruling coalition.
Lakshman Yapa Abeywardene, the Investment Promotion Minister said that the government will issue new gazette clarifying tax breaks and is also looking to come up with rules to address concerns raised.
Two gazettes giving tax breaks to large casino resorts to be built by the local firm John Keells Holdings and Australia`s Crown group would be presented to parliament for final approval this week.
Due to raging protests, a special meeting was held yesterday presided by President Mahinda Rajapaksa where it was decided to hold back giving approval to the gazettes in respect of establishing the two casino centres.
Abeywardene said a 5 per cent tax will be charged on the operations.
However the opposition claimed that other casino centres such as Macau charged 40 per cent on gaming revenues while Singapore charged taxes around 20 per cent.
The government sources said that members of the ruling coalition opposed the two casino centres.
The heritage party, the JHU and Sri Lanka Muslim Congress had vowed to oppose the move.
Abeywardene said that ruling coalition met yesterday and their views were sought on the proposed resorts.
He said the government would address concerns including restricting the entry of locals.
Australia`s Crown Resorts are to invest USD 400 million in the project.
The main opposition UNP vowed yesterday to shut down casino operations when they come to power.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof