Lanka to recruit ex-LTTE men into civil defence
Colombo: Sri Lanka will enrol over 1,000 former members of the LTTE, who have successfully completed rehabilitation to the country`s civil defence force (CDF), officials said on Sunday.
An official campaign was held yesterday in the former LTTE stronghold of Kilinochchi in the north of the island nation, where over 2,000 applications were distributed among the former LTTE members.
Those who received the applications are the ones who have gone through the government`s rehabilitation programme since the conflict ended in May 2009.
Some 11,000 former LTTE members underwent rehabilitation.
Officials said that over 1,000 could be recruited to the CDF by mid-July.
The CDF was set up as an auxiliary force to assist the government troops during the decades-old military campaign carried out against the LTTE.
They were initially deployed to protect the Sinhala majority villages adjacent to the north and east borders from LTTE attacks.
The LTTE carried out many massacres of civilians from these villages.
The recruitment to the CDF would come closely on the heels of recruiting Tamil speaking as second lieutenants to the national cadet corps last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- 'Befikre' Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor's latest STILL will make you standstill!
- Mars had climate suitable for life four billion years ago
- Wedding SONG of the year 'Nachde Ne Saare' has Katrina Kaif-Sidharth Malhotra dance to glory! Watch
- Afzal Guru event: JNU panel holds 21 students 'guilty of indiscipline'; no relief to Umar, Anirban
- Water shortage may have led to demise of Maya civilisation