Lanka to rehabilitate top LTTE woman leader
Colombo: A Sri Lankan court on Friday ordered authorities to provide rehabilitation training to Subramaniam Shivathai, the political wing leader of the LTTE women`s force.
Magistrate Rashmi Singappuli had asked the CID to seek Subramaniam Shivathai alias Thamilini consent to undergo rehabilitation yesterday.
The CID today told the court this morning that Thamilini, in her late 30s, was willing to undergo rehabilitation.
Thamilini was arrested and kept in remand custody since the end of the military campaign against the LTTE in May 2009.
She was spotted mingling with Tamil civilians in a camp for the displaced in the northern town of Vavuniya. Thamilini was one of very few LTTE leaders who survived the final battle.
As the head of the LTTE`s women`s political wing Thamilini had taken active part in the LTTE`s interaction with the international community, including the failed Norwegian peace initiative.
Sri Lanka put under rehabilitation some 11,000 members of the LTTE who surrendered after the end of the war. They were provided language and life skills training during the process. Self employment loans are also granted under livelihood support.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Anti-burkini law would be `unconstitutional`: French minister
- Researchers find way to boost gene-editing tool efficiency
- British PM to put stamp on Brexit before G20 summit
- Germany's top immigration officer anticipates 300,000 refugees in 2016
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank