Lanka to rehabilitate top LTTE woman leader
Colombo: A Sri Lankan court on Friday ordered authorities to provide rehabilitation training to Subramaniam Shivathai, the political wing leader of the LTTE women`s force.
Magistrate Rashmi Singappuli had asked the CID to seek Subramaniam Shivathai alias Thamilini consent to undergo rehabilitation yesterday.
The CID today told the court this morning that Thamilini, in her late 30s, was willing to undergo rehabilitation.
Thamilini was arrested and kept in remand custody since the end of the military campaign against the LTTE in May 2009.
She was spotted mingling with Tamil civilians in a camp for the displaced in the northern town of Vavuniya. Thamilini was one of very few LTTE leaders who survived the final battle.
As the head of the LTTE`s women`s political wing Thamilini had taken active part in the LTTE`s interaction with the international community, including the failed Norwegian peace initiative.
Sri Lanka put under rehabilitation some 11,000 members of the LTTE who surrendered after the end of the war. They were provided language and life skills training during the process. Self employment loans are also granted under livelihood support.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi