Lanka to rehabilitate top LTTE woman leader
Colombo: A Sri Lankan court on Friday ordered authorities to provide rehabilitation training to Subramaniam Shivathai, the political wing leader of the LTTE women`s force.
Magistrate Rashmi Singappuli had asked the CID to seek Subramaniam Shivathai alias Thamilini consent to undergo rehabilitation yesterday.
The CID today told the court this morning that Thamilini, in her late 30s, was willing to undergo rehabilitation.
Thamilini was arrested and kept in remand custody since the end of the military campaign against the LTTE in May 2009.
She was spotted mingling with Tamil civilians in a camp for the displaced in the northern town of Vavuniya. Thamilini was one of very few LTTE leaders who survived the final battle.
As the head of the LTTE`s women`s political wing Thamilini had taken active part in the LTTE`s interaction with the international community, including the failed Norwegian peace initiative.
Sri Lanka put under rehabilitation some 11,000 members of the LTTE who surrendered after the end of the war. They were provided language and life skills training during the process. Self employment loans are also granted under livelihood support.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie