Lanka to scrap `visa on arrival system`
Colombo: Sri Lanka plans to scrap the `visa
on arrival` system applicable to 78 countries, including
India, from next year in bid to streamline the issuance of the
The government has been complaining of foreign nationals
abusing on the arrival visa policy. The new system is being
viewed as an attempt to streamline the entry visas system
The new electronic travel authorization (ETA) would
enable the authorities to track down any foreigner who will
overstay in the country, officials said today.
With effect from January 1, 2012, the government will
scrap its visa on arrival system applicable to 78 countries
Only the Singaporean and Maldivian nationals would be
allowed `on arrival` visas without prior approval under Sri
Lanka’s new visa regime, officials said earlier.
The ETA would issue visas at USD 50 a person for a
30-day stay with double entry.
People who had entered the country as tourists have been
found to be working, set up business and even done reporting
as journalists, the authorities said.
Chulananda Perera the top immigration official said that
the state would be able to monitor and track foreigners.
"Each hotel and guest house will be given a machine," he
said, adding "Foreigners will have to keep their passport on
this machine before going to their room."
"The system would enable us to gather data on tourist
arrivals to the country," Perera stressed.
Tourism is a major foreign exchange earner for the island
Responding to a question if the new system would hinder
tourist arrivals to the country, Perera said the efficiency of
the system would not pose such problems.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’