Lanka to set up Reconciliation Commission
Colombo: Sri Lankan government on Tuesday announced
formation of a reconciliation commission aimed at building
mutual trust among various communities in the country and
easing of some emergency regulations like restriction on
Newly-appointed Prime Minister D M Jayaratne made this
announcement in Parliament while participating in a debate on
a proposal to extend the state of emergency by a further
Jayaratne said the `Lesson Learnt and Reconciliation
Commission` is being formed with the objective of forging
closer cooperation among various communities of the
society in the island nation.
The Prime Minister also said the state of emergency will
be used only to protect the citizens` rights and not to
obstruct the state security.
Some have forgotten the "terror period" in the country
during the past, Jayaratne said, referring to the LTTE which
was defeated by security forces in may last year.
The government considers its responsibility to hand over
the future of the country to the younger generation, he said.
The Prime Minister said that during the last stage of the
Eelam IV war, 2.8 lakh civilians were freed from the
"terrorist areas." Out of them, 11,700 were LTTE members.
The government has implemented a systematic plan to bring
them into the mainstream of the society, Jayaratne said,
adding more than 2,400 LTTE members have been rehabilitated
Information has been received that some LTTE members are
reorganising themselves internationally to raise their heads
again, Jayaratne warned.
He said action will be taken to eliminate such LTTE
networks with the help of intelligence sources from the
Parliament was told that LTTE leader Rudra Kumaran has
said that he plans to build an Eelam state outside the
The House was also told that LTTE remnants planned to
hold a conference in Switzerland in this regard, the Sri
Lankan Broadcasting Corporation reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof