Lanka war commission report to be made public
Colombo: Amid speculation that the crucial
Sri Lankan probe into the three-decade ethnic conflict may be
kept under wraps, President Mahinda Rajapaksa has decided to
make the LLRC findings public.
Foreign Minister GL Peiris on Tuesday said that the president
has decided to make the report of the Lessons Learnt and
Reconciliation Commission (LLRC) available on public domain.
"President Rajapaksa was categorical in saying that the
report would be made public. This will be done after the
report is submitted to the president," Peiris told reporters
LLRC spokesman Lakshman Wickremasinghe said the report
could be presented to Rajapaksa before the November 15
"We are making arrangements for it to be presented
to the president. Although we have no definite date it is
likely to be presented in the second week of November,"
The LLRC, however, had no authority to make the report
"Our mandate limits us to handing it over to the
president. Making it public or otherwise will be entirely in
president’s hands," Wickremasinghe added.
The LLRC was appointed by Rajapaksa in May 2010 to look
back at the country`s separatist conflict with the LTTE
covering the period of the Norwegian brokered peace process
which began in February 2002 and the end to the military
offensive in May 2009.
The objective was to learn lessons and prevent a
repetition of a similar conflict.
The LLRC spokesman earlier said that over 1,000 oral
submissions and over 5000 written submissions had been
received by the commission.
"People of varying status have recorded their submissions
with us and we have given more chances to people from the
north and east," Wickremasinghe said.
An expert panel report of the UN Secretary General Ban Ki
Moon issued last April has accused Sri Lanka and the LTTE of
committing war crimes and called for an investigation.
In the face of growing international pressure on Sri
Lanka by western nations and rights watchdogs to set up an
independent probe into alleged war crimes, there was
speculation that the government may not make the crucial LLRC
Sri Lanka has used the LLRC to thwart criticism on the
government`s rights record during the final stages of the war
with the LTTE, which ended in May 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks